Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1861 February 14
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sermon notes by Edward Hitchcock for a sermon delivered at Amherst College on February 14, 1861 on the views and feelings necessary to cultivate religion and have success in converting others. Mentioning 1 John and several other epistles, Hitchcock highlights two prominent necessities for religiousness: deep conviction in the cardinal truths of the Gospel connected to the doctrine of incarnation, and deep conviction in the reality and power of personal religious experience. Hitchcock defines the three cardinal truths tied to incarnation as the depravity of man, the necessity of God in regeneration, and faith in Christ, and suggests that those who find success in converting others know these truths through their personal religious experiences. Hitchcock has written related hymns on the last page.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Sermons--Outlines, syllabi, etc
- SermonsOutlines (documents)NotesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1861 February 14. 1861-02-14. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:501041. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1861-02-14) Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1861 February 14. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:501041
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:501041>.