Country Club of Coral Gables golf course. Coral Gables, Florida
- View Full Item
Named the Coral Gables Golf and Country Club, the original clubhouse was designed by Hampton & Reimert and opened in 1923. It is considered to be the first public building in Coral Gables. The Country Club and the Granada Golf Course were part of the original 1921 Town Plan designed by George Merrick, Frank Button and Denman Fink. The facility met the need for recreation, relaxation and played an important role as a place to entertain potential clients. A two-story addition was made in 1924. The six coral rock arches are the only portions of the original clubhouse that were saved after a devastating fire in 1983. The City refurbished the remaining 1973 additions to the club. Major additions to the building were made in 1984. The tower was reconstructed in 1996. Funding for the new tower was made possible through grants from the late Lady Suzanna P. Tweed in loving memory of Carlton Tweed and State of Florida. It was designated as part of the Country Club of Coral Gables Historic District in 1989. It is located at 997 N. Greenway Drive with the main entrance at 990 Alhambra Circle. The facility is now operated by the Liberty Entertainment Group.
Caption on verso: "Part of golf course, Granada course, Coral Gables, Fla.
- Brower, Manley
- Contributing Institution
- City of Coral Gables
- Coral Gables (Fla.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works
Coral Gables (Fla.)--History--Pictorial works
- 5 X 7 in.
- Chicago citation style
- Brower, Manley. Country Club of Coral Gables golf course. Coral Gables, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI13010408/00001. (Accessed November 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Brower, Manley, Country Club of Coral Gables golf course. Coral Gables, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI13010408/00001
- MLA citation style
- Brower, Manley. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI13010408/00001>.