County agent project report, Cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, 1929
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Summary of plan for organizing an irrigation district in the Moapa Valley for flood control, water storage, and drainage. Project Number: State Office # M-282, Clark County # M-22
COUNTY AGENT PROJECT 1929 PROJECT NUMBER STATE OFFICE #172 CLARK COUNTY #12 COOPERATIVE EXTENSION WORK IN AGRICULTURE AND HOME ECONOMICS UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION DIVISION AND U. S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE COOPERATING. STATE OF NEVADA I. SUB-PROJECT: IX. Community Activities. II. NAME OF PROJECT: Irrigation District - Formation of (For flood control, water storage and Drainage) III. LEADERS: Albert Wittwer IV. LOCATION: Clark County V. DATE EFFECTIVE: January 1st, 1929 VI. OBJECT: To organize an Irrigation District thru which to finance construction works for Flood Control, Water storage and Drainage needs for Moapa Valley. VII. FACTS: 1. Floods in 1910, 1922 and 1925 seriously damaged Moapa Valley agriculture thru over flows and in recent years thru cutting out deep gulches. 2. Practically every year one or more "freshets" hamper regular water supply owing to washing out of poorly constructed diversion dams. 3. Flood control, water storage, land drainage, soil and economic surveys conducted during the years 1923 to 1928 show construction works for approximately 8000 acres of land are feasible and within the econ- omic possibilities to property owners concerned. 4. To secure improvements involved, it will be necessary to proceed thru an irrigation district. VIII. GOALS for 1929: 1. Determine most practical means thru which pro- posed projects might be financed. 2. Cooperate with a committee of at least five members in working out a plan of financing the project. 3. Publicity campaign toward the end of organization. IX. DUTIES OF COOPERATING AGENCIES: County Agent Become familiar with the Nevada Irrigation District Law. 2. Secure detailed procedure for financing thru U. S. Reclamation Service with funds without interest on long term payments, whether thru an irri- gation District or other associated Land and Water owners organization. 3. Sell such method of proced- ure as may be determined thru investigation indicated Page 2. IX. Community Activities. Project Number: State Office #172 Clark County #12 in foregoing (2) to a committee of at least five representatives of land and water stock owners in the Moapa Valley. Cooperating Committee with Project Leader and in cooperation with County Agent become thoroughly familiar with all details of such plans for organ- ization and finance as might be determined readily feasible and practicable. X. PROCEDURE: Month Attention and Interest Desire Action March County Agent secure method of procedure in securing U. S. Reclamation funds on long term payments, without interest. April May to Farm Visits to committee members, August Committee meetings. September October Farm Visits and committee meet- ings. Secure adoption of a specific plan of procedure November December Begin publicity campaign for adop- tion of committee's Plan of Procedure. Director of Extension Date County Agent Date
- Wittwer, John H
- Contributing Institution
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries
- Moapa Valley (valley), Clark (county), Nevada , United States (nation)
- This material is made available to facilitate private study, scholarship, or research. It may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UNLV. Users are responsible for determining whether permissions are necessary from rights owners for any intended use and for obtaining all required permissions. Acknowledgement of the UNLV University Libraries is requested. For more information, please see the UNLV Special Collections policies on reproduction and use (https://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/research_and_services/reproductions) or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chicago citation style
- Wittwer, John H. County agent project report, Cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, 1929. 1929. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_unl_14hln/690. (Accessed November 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Wittwer, John H, (1929) County agent project report, Cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, 1929. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_unl_14hln/690
- MLA citation style
- Wittwer, John H. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://utah-primoprod.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=MWDL&afterPDS=true&docId=digcoll_unl_14hln/690>.