• Creator
  • Carnes, William W
  • Description
  • Monument erected at corner of Marshall and Mount Auburn Streets, voted by the Town in 1887, inscribed, "Here the Honorable Council met while the Assembly sat in the Meeting House near-by, 1775-1776." The stone had previously been marked, "This stone marks the site of the dwelling house [the Marshall Spring Fowle House] in which Gen. Warren slept the night before the Battle of Bunker Hill," and was recut at the request of the Historical Society... more
    Monument erected at corner of Marshall and Mount Auburn Streets, voted by the Town in 1887, inscribed, "Here the Honorable Council met while the Assembly sat in the Meeting House near-by, 1775-1776." The stone had previously been marked, "This stone marks the site of the dwelling house [the Marshall Spring Fowle House] in which Gen. Warren slept the night before the Battle of Bunker Hill," and was recut at the request of the Historical Society when it became known that General Warren had spent the night on June 16, 1775 in the Hunt House on Galen Street in the company of Elbridge Gerry. Interestingly, other evidence suggests that Dr. Warren was delivering a baby in Newton at the time. The house is now known as the Edmund Fowle House, after Marshall Spring Fowle's father who had it built it in 1772. Photo by William W. Carnes. less
  • Format
  • Photographs