Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Natural History"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Natural history lecture notes by Edward Hitchcock introducing the subject to his students. Hitchcock discusses what exactly natural history is, the division of the world into organic and inorganic matter, and the division of the science of natural history into zoology, botany, and mineralogy/geology. Several American men who have worked in the field of natural history are mentioned, with Hitchcock giving a brief description of their work, such as [Stephen] Elliott's study of the botany in South Carolina and Georgia. Hitchcock uses the information about these men to illustrate the growth of the study of natural history in the United States and to emphasize the importance of its continued study.
The notes are undated. Dates provided are taken from the dates of the series.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Natural history--Study and teaching (Higher)
Naturalists--Study and teaching (Higher)
- Lecture notesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Natural History". 1826-1855. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:287709. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1826-1855) Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Natural History". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:287709
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:287709>.