Documents in relation to the validity of the Cherokee treaty of 1835
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This publication, presented before the United States Senate in 1838, is a set of letters and articles related to the Treaty of New Echota (1835), narrated by Elias Boudinot, the original editor of the Cherokee Phoenix. In resigning his post as editor of the Phoenix, Boudinot sets forth the basis for conflict between rival factions of Cherokee leadership--the Treaty Party or Ridge Party and the Anti-Treaty Party or Ross Party. Boudinot, a member of the pro-treaty group, utilizes various documents to explain the motives of the removal treaty signers, and in so doing, he criticizes Principal Chief John Ross for misleading the Cherokee people by fostering their hopes in a lost cause. Boudinot includes letters and addresses by Ross and himself relative to strife amongst the parties and a failed attempt at resolution as well as correspondence between himself and the Chief.
- Boudinot, Elias, -1839
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Blair & Rives, printers
- Indians of North America--Government relations
Cherokee Indians--Government relations
- Government publicationDocuments
- Public Domain: We believe this material to be in the public domain and free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Boudinot, Elias, -1839. Documents in relation to the validity of the Cherokee treaty of 1835. 1838. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:480594. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Boudinot, Elias, -1839, (1838) Documents in relation to the validity of the Cherokee treaty of 1835. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:480594
- MLA citation style
- Boudinot, Elias, -1839. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:480594>.