Scenes Springfield College Men's Basketball games (c. 1970-1971?)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a black-and-white, silent, 16mm film of various basketball games of what is thought to be from the 1970-1971 season of the Springfield College Basketball team. Date comes from a sticker on the reel. There is no other indication of teams or dates shown. The video is a total of six minutes and five seconds. James A. Naismith (November 6, 1861 – November 28, 1939), nicknamed "The Father of Basketball," was born in Almonte, Ontario. When he was nine, his parents died of typhoid fever and he was sent to live with his uncle, who later financed Naismith's way through college. He earned his theological degree from McGill University and graduated from Springfield College, then the YMCA Training School, in 1891. After graduation, he was hired as a faculty member, where he taught for five years. It was in his first year as a faculty member at Springfield College that he created the game of Basketball as an activity for an unruly class. In 1895, Naismith enrolled at the Gross Medical School in Denver and received his M.D. in 1898. In that same year, Naismith took the position of department head of physical education at the University of Kansas, where he remained until his death.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
- moving image
- Motion pictures
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Scenes Springfield College Men's Basketball games (c. 1970-1971?). 1970-1971. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7989. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1970-1971) Scenes Springfield College Men's Basketball games (c. 1970-1971?). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7989
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7989>.