Dance Class with Ted Shawn (c. 1933)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This hand-colored lantern slide shows a group of Springfield College students in a dance class taught by Ted Shawn in 1933. They are inside West Gymnasium, a part of Judd Gymnasia. Ted Shawn taught at Springfield College during the 1932-33 school year, and a number of Springfield College students went on tour with Shawn in the first all male modern dance troupe. Ted Shawn (October 21, 1891 - January 9, 1972), originally Edwin Myers Shawn, was one of the first notable male pioneers of American modern dance. Along with creating Denishawn with former wife Ruth St. Denis, he also created the well-known, all-male company Ted Shawn and His Men Dancers. He was also the founder and creator of the Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival in Massachusetts, and was knighted by the King of Denmark for his efforts on behalf of the Royal Danish Ballet. Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction on the building in September of 1894 and it was formally opened on October 26, 1894.
According to a sticker on the fame, this is #107 in a series.
- Springfield College
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association College
Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972
Ruth Evan Gymnasium
Student Union West
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Springfield College. Dance Class with Ted Shawn (c. 1933). 1933. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5970. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Springfield College, (1933) Dance Class with Ted Shawn (c. 1933). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5970
- MLA citation style
- Springfield College. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5970>.