• Creator
  • Richard Nicol
  • Created Date
  • 1892
  • Description
  • In 1883, Andrew Hemrich and John Kopp established the Kopp and Hemrich Brewery, located south of Seattle at the foot of Beacon Hill, on the corner of 9th Avenue and Hanford Street. Two years later, the Hemrich family bought Kopp out and the name was changed to the Bay View Brewing Company, referring to the brewery’s grand perspective overlooking Elliott Bay. In 1893, Bay View merged with two other breweries to form the Seattle Brewing and Malt... more
    In 1883, Andrew Hemrich and John Kopp established the Kopp and Hemrich Brewery, located south of Seattle at the foot of Beacon Hill, on the corner of 9th Avenue and Hanford Street. Two years later, the Hemrich family bought Kopp out and the name was changed to the Bay View Brewing Company, referring to the brewery’s grand perspective overlooking Elliott Bay. In 1893, Bay View merged with two other breweries to form the Seattle Brewing and Malting Company. The brand name chosen for the company’s new beer was “Rainier.” The Bay View plant continued to operate, and in 1906 added a bottling shop and additional refrigeration. First Washington state and then national Prohibition put breweries out of business, and the Hemrich family decided to cut their losses and sell the brewery. The purchaser converted the factory to a feed and flour mill. The Bayview Milling Company operated until the end of Prohibition in 1933, when Emil Sick took out a lease on the plant and re-opened the old... less
  • Format
  • text
    document
    Scanned from slide as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit color, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using CONTENTdm's image import
  • Rights
  • All rights reserved.