Cumulative annoyance due to multiple aircraft flyovers with differing peak noise levels /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Prepared for Langley Research Center under contract NAS1-14970.
Includes bibliographical references.
NASA thesaurus headings: Aircraft noise - Boeing 707 aircraft - Human reactions - Noise pollution - Simulation - Diurnal variations - Noise measurement - Predictions
A laboratory study in which 160 subjects judged the annoyance of 30 minute sessions of aircraft noise is described. Each session contained nine flyovers consisting of various combinations of three takeoff recordings of Boeing 727. The subjects were asked to judge their annoyance in the simulated living room environment of the laboratory and also to assess how annoyed they would be if they heard the noise in their home during the day, evening, and night periods. The standard deviation of the sound level did not improve the predictive ability of L sub eq (equivalent continuous sound level) which performed as well or better than other noise measured. Differences were found between the projected home responses for the day, evening, and nighttime periods. Time of day penalties derived from these results showed reasonable agreement with those currently used in community noise indices.
Distributed to depository librries in microfiche; also available via the Internet.
- Shepherd, Kevin P
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Scientific and Technical Information Branch ; [Springfield, Va. : For sale by the National Technical Information Center]
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Shepherd, Kevin P. Cumulative annoyance due to multiple aircraft flyovers with differing peak noise levels /. 1981. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431937. (Accessed September 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Shepherd, Kevin P, (1981) Cumulative annoyance due to multiple aircraft flyovers with differing peak noise levels /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431937
- MLA citation style
- Shepherd, Kevin P. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431937>.