Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 August
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock discussing the importance of gathering together socially for religious events beyond just the Sabbath. Hitchcock provides examples from scripture that he believes supports the idea that Christians are expected to participate in religious gatherings during the week, then lists some arguments commonly given against this idea, refuting each one. He ends with some inferences that can be drawn from the discussion of this topic, such as that religion tends to decline in the church because people think if they go to weekly services they do not need to attend to religion in other ways and the reasons why weekday religious meetings often lead to conversions. Hebrew 10:25 is quoted. Hitchcock has noted the dates and locations where he delivered this sermon on the first page.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Conway (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 August. 1825-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:499062. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1825-08) Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 August. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:499062
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:499062>.