• Created Date
  • 7-15-02
  • Description
  • Flat Iron Building, Railroad (Springfield Avenue) and Main Streets, Urbana. The wedge-shape of this building referred to the once indispensible household implement. The Flat Iron Department Store opened September 4, 1906, occupying the basement and first two floors. The building's architect, Joseph with Royer, had offices on the third floor, as did several attorneys. The Elks club on the fourth floor had a nice view of the temperance statue/fo... more
    Flat Iron Building, Railroad (Springfield Avenue) and Main Streets, Urbana. The wedge-shape of this building referred to the once indispensible household implement. The Flat Iron Department Store opened September 4, 1906, occupying the basement and first two floors. The building's architect, Joseph with Royer, had offices on the third floor, as did several attorneys. The Elks club on the fourth floor had a nice view of the temperance statue/fountain outside. The building burned on March 21, 1948. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History; 18 Social Systems. less
  • Format
  • Flatiron2.jpg