Brown wax homemade copy of commercial recording of Le secret polka with commentary at end, made September 23, 1900
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Brown wax cylinder.
Dub of commercial recording of "Le Secret Polka," with only end of announcement present: "... Military Band." At end, man says: "Ninety-four Garfield Place. Sunday, September Twenty-Third, Nineteen Hundred. [...] There's no use in talking. The Edison people are the only people that know how to make records. My friend Mr. Summers himself has been persistently trying for the last three hours to produce the same. We, uh, [defy (?)] the very science of record-making. Hereafter we will go and pay our two dollars or so for a record. Uh, this thing is a failure. All over."
Also available online via the Internet.
Sung in English.
The David Giovannoni Collection of home cylinder recordings (Set Number: 135-01, Originally acquired: Fred Williams, May 2008).
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC Santa Barbara, Library, Department of Special Research Collections
- Personal recordings
- Audio cylinderElectronic resource
- No linguistic content
- copyright unknown
MP3 files of the cylinders available for download are copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California. They are licensed for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.5 License. Acknowledgments for reuse of the transfers should read "University of California, Santa Barbara Library." The original wav files (either unedited or restored) can be provided upon request for commercial or non-commercial use such as CD reissues, film/tv synchronization, use on websites or in exhibits. The University of California makes no claims or warranties as to the copyright status of the original recordings and charges a use fee for the use of the transfers. Please contact the University of California, Santa Barbara Library Department of Special Research Collections for information on licensing cylinder transfers. Full contact information can be found at: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/licensing.php.
- Chicago citation style
- Brown wax homemade copy of commercial recording of Le secret polka with commentary at end, made September 23, 1900. 1898-1928. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder12863. (Accessed December 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1898-1928) Brown wax homemade copy of commercial recording of Le secret polka with commentary at end, made September 23, 1900. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder12863
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder12863>.