View Full Image
First Baptist Church, Mount Auburn Street at the corner of Common Street. Built in 1899 and designed by McKay & Dunham. Convered to condominiums in early 2000s. The Baptist Church started in the summer of 1827 and as it grew, it was forced to move twice before the congregation moved into their own church building in 1830. A second structure was dedicated on the same lot in 1859. A walkway known as Baptist Walk still connects Mt. Auburn and Spring Streets in 2012. Again the church grew too large for the building and moved again. Three house lots were purchased at the corner of Mt. Auburn and Common Streets. One house was torn down and two were removed to Barnard Road and Columbia Street. Charles B. Dunham drew up the plans. Watertown contractor A.B. Murdough got the contract for $50,450. The building was to be erected with Weymouth seam-faced granite and with Nova Scotia sandstone trimming. This contract did not include heating, ventilation, plumbing, painting, glazing, organ, pews, architect fee or any other furnishings. The entire cost including the land cost $90,000. The mortgage was held by the Watertown Savings Bank was $40,000 on the church and $6,000 on the old church lot and 4
|Watertown Free Public Library|
Watertown (Mass.)--Social life and customs
Baptist church--Watertown (Mass.)
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs.Contact host institution for more information.