• Creator
  • Harry Lemen, photographer
  • Created Date
  • 1927
  • Description
  • Around 1863 John J. Craig went into partnership with Fred Dubach and opened a dry goods store at this location. The partnership lasted only about one year and John Craig then brought his brother Henry into the business. They formed the Craig and Brother Wholesale Grocery, later know as J & R Craig & Company. In 1889 Nicholas Horuff took over the location at 232 Main Street and opened a dry goods store. In 1895 his sons were admitted as partner... more
    Around 1863 John J. Craig went into partnership with Fred Dubach and opened a dry goods store at this location. The partnership lasted only about one year and John Craig then brought his brother Henry into the business. They formed the Craig and Brother Wholesale Grocery, later know as J & R Craig & Company. In 1889 Nicholas Horuff took over the location at 232 Main Street and opened a dry goods store. In 1895 his sons were admitted as partners. The business prospered and in 1897 they purchased the building from Thomas Graham. At that time, they remodeled and enlarged the building. The store expanded to 35' X 104', with four stories and a large storeroom in the back. The store retained the Horuff name through the 1920s. In the 1930s it became, in short succession, Gold's Department Store (1934), Dailey's, and in 1944 Dwight (Speedy) Mills took over as manager from the Goodman-Jester Company. In 1970 he purchased the store from the Jester Family and formed the Mills' Department Store. After Mr. Mills' death in 1978, the building was vacant for a short time and then reopened as a collection of small specialty shops. Picture taken circa 1927. less
  • Format
  • negative