Attitude control of a spacecraft with a strapdown inertial reference system and onboard computer /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Prepared at Goddard Space Flight Center.
Major NASA subject terms: Attitude control, digital computers, onboard equipment, spacecraft control, strapdown inertial guidance, algorithms, OAO, slewing, spacecraft stability.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 13).
A strapdown inertial reference system and an onboard digital computer can be used to change the attitude of a spacecraft over large angles in an arbitrary direction. A study was conducted with an advanced Orbiting Astronomical Observatory (OAO) using a three-axis control law previously proven globally stable. The control system can reorient the spacecraft to an arbitrary inertial attitude with a single command by operating the three momentum wheels simultaneously. Reorientation, therefore, becomes a simple extension of a hold or pointing mode. The time required for reorientation with this system is considerably shorter than the time required for a series of single-axis slews. The spacecraft attitude and control law are continuously updated by the onboard computer's using information provided by the strapdown inertial reference system. The use of a computer and inertial reference system with characteristics of systems presently under development demonstrates the feasibility of orientation with such a reference system. The basic system is not limited to the OAO but may be adapted for other three-axis-stabilized spacecraft.
- Hrastar, John
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration : [For sale by the Office of Technical Services, Dept. of Commerce]
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Hrastar, John. Attitude control of a spacecraft with a strapdown inertial reference system and onboard computer /. . Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444196. (Accessed October 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Hrastar, John, () Attitude control of a spacecraft with a strapdown inertial reference system and onboard computer /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444196
- MLA citation style
- Hrastar, John. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444196>.