- View Full Item
- Created Date
When Lancaster was resettled after the attack that destroyed the Rowlandson garrison during King Philip's War in 1675-1676, resident Philip Goss built a house on the same site. It was burned by the French and Native Americans in 1704. Years later, when the field was being plowed, the doorstep and hearthstone of the Goss house were uncovered. The Rowlandson Pine was planted in 1853 to mark the spot and to commemorate the town's 200th anniversary. It is a well-loved local landmark.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Rowlandson Pine. 1850-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g71z. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-2000) Rowlandson Pine. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g71z
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g71z>.