- View Full Item
- Created Date
Called an "American masterpiece" by William Pierson in American Buildings and Their Architects, the fifth meetinghouse (First Church of Christ, Unitarian), on the Lancaster Town Green, is one of the town's finest architectural jewels. Designed by Boston architect Charles Bulfinch and erected in 1816, it is regarded as his greatest ecclesiastical work. It was constructed from local materials under the direction of local master builder Thomas Hersey in 157 working days. The building is a National Historical Landmark.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- American masterpiece. 1850-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g95j. (Accessed December 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-2000) American masterpiece. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g95j
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g95j>.