Duck hunting in marshland
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows a men duck hunting using a small boat. It was most likely taken around the Sandusky area. During the late 1800s, the Lake Erie marshes were known as some of the best waterfowl hunting areas in the United States. As early as 1890 much of the wetland area was being operated for private shooting. By the end of 1951 the entire 30,000 acres of remaining marshland along Lake Erie, from Toledo to Sandusky, was under private club ownership. Today, the region still supports some of the most intensively developed and managed waterfowling clubs in the Midwest. The Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, purchased by the Ohio Division of Wildlife in August 1951, lies in some of Ohio’s finest remaining wetlands. The marsh complex has historically been inhabited by large numbers of waterfowl, waterbirds, shorebirds, and songbirds.
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ohio Guide Collection
- Duck hunting
Hunting and fishing clubs--United States
Sandusky (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works
Plants and Animals
Federal Writers' Project
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Duck hunting in marshland. 1930s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8237. (Accessed December 1, 2023.)
- APA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project, (1930s) Duck hunting in marshland. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8237
- MLA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8237>.