Frank Seerley, James McCurdy, and James Naismith in France, World War I
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of Dr. James Naismith, Dr. Frank Seerley, and Dr. James Huff McCurdy taken at the American YMCA Headquarters in Paris, France during World War I. Dr. Seerley was the Head of the Department of Hygiene at the YMCA headquarters in France and Dr. McCurdy was the Director of the Division of Athletes, Hygiene and Health for the American YMCA among American troops in France. All three were alumni and faculty members of Springfield College as well as pioneers in Physical Education and Sport. Among many other accomplishments, Dr. Frank Seerley taught animal mechanics, physiology and hygiene as well as being a Dean at Springfield College. Dr. James McCurdy studied heart rate and blood pressure, and how it was affected during different motor tasks performed by adolescent boys. Dr. James Naismith is most remembered for creating the game of basketball at Springfield College in 1891.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
World War, 1914-1918
International Young Men's Christian Association
Naismith, James, 1861-1939
McCurdy, J. H. (James Huff), 1866-1940
World War I
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Frank Seerley, James McCurdy, and James Naismith in France, World War I. 1916-1918. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/886. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1916-1918) Frank Seerley, James McCurdy, and James Naismith in France, World War I. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/886
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/886>.