Alumni Hall, East View
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of Springfield College's Alumni Hall taken from Massasoit Lake. The image is slightly out of focus, however, the building's turrets and MacLean Terrace are clearly visible. MacLean Terrace is named for Mrs. Charles F. MacLean for the many services she rendered for the board, including the donation of $10,000 given at a critical juncture of the campaign to build the hall and fund the college. Over the years many functions have been held on the terrace, including Stepping Up Day. On September 22, 1926 the cornerstone of the International YMCA College's (now Springfield College) new men’s dormitory, Alumni Hall, was laid. Just one year after the cornerstone was laid, Alumni Hall was completed. The building, though, was not formally dedicated until June 15, 1930 when all the funds for the building were officially received. In October of 1944, Alumni Hall, in conjunction with the Administration building, was used as a U.S. Navy Convalescent Hospital. The majority of the patients were housed in Alumni Hall, with one wing equipped for bed cases and the rest converted into hospital rooms for 2-4 men. Today, with the exception of necessary renovations, Alumni Hall remains largely unchanged. The building continues to serve as an all men's dormitory, and the Carlisle Foyer, donated by Mr. S. Richard Carlisle of Springfield, holds gatherings, presentations and student events for all students to enjoy.
- Art Photo Co
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Alumni Hall
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Art Photo Co. Alumni Hall, East View. 1926-1950. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1216. (Accessed July 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Art Photo Co, (1926-1950) Alumni Hall, East View. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1216
- MLA citation style
- Art Photo Co. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/1216>.