Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital, West Philadelphia.
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Text from poster: This is perhaps the largest and most complete Army Hospital in the world. It covers sixteen acres of ground, There are 24 wards, containing 4500 beds. The length of the buildings is 900 feet. There are altogether 7 acres of floors. It was opened for the reception of our brave sick and wounded soldiers, June 9th 1862. Admitted up to May 27th 1864 12,773. Deaths, 260. Since the great battles of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania, there have been several hundred tents put up outside the enclosure, as the accommodations are not sufficient for the large number of patients daily arriving from the field. The Principle officers are I.I. Hayes, Surgeon, U.S.V. Commanding, W.H. Forwood, Assistant Surgeon, U.S.A. Executive Officer, J. Williams, Acting Assistant Surgeon, U.S.A. , Acting Executive Officer, et al...Visiting days, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 2 to 5 P.M. Special passes, approved b the Surgeon in Charge, procured of the Executive Officer. There are forty Sister of Charity in this Hospital, who are ever ready to relieve the sufferings if its inmates. There is, for the accomodations of the patients, a large Reading Room, with Library, Piano, &c.; also, Sutler Store, Stationery and Newspaper Depot, Barber Shop, and Printing Office, where there is published a very neat paper, called the Hospital register, also, a fine Band of Music.
- Gay, James D, Magnus, Charles, 1826-1900
- PA Digital
- Contributing Institution
- Free Library of Philadelphia
- Army camps
Civil War, 1861-1865
Daughters of Charity
Hayes, Isaac Israel, 1832-1881
Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital , 1862-1865
Sisters of Charity
United States Army Post Hospital
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Gay, James D, Magnus, Charles, 1826-1900. Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital, West Philadelphia.. 1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://libwww.freelibrary.org/diglib/searchItem.cfm?itemID=pdcp00420. (Accessed September 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Gay, James D, Magnus, Charles, 1826-1900, (1864) Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital, West Philadelphia.. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://libwww.freelibrary.org/diglib/searchItem.cfm?itemID=pdcp00420
- MLA citation style
- Gay, James D, Magnus, Charles, 1826-1900. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://libwww.freelibrary.org/diglib/searchItem.cfm?itemID=pdcp00420>.