View Full Image
The Bernardi is a two-passenger automobile painted black with red trim. It has three wheels, two in the front and one in the rear. The small steering wheel is on the right side next to the brake handle. It has a brown upholstered buggy bench. The engine is located in a box underneath the bench. Enrico Bernardi of Verona, Italy was among the earliest automotive pioneers. In 1884, his first internal combustion vehicle appeared on the streets of Verona. Bernardi made his greatest contribution to motorcar progress with a new engine built in 1889, which exhibited a series of impressive technical innovations. These innovations included: (1) a cylinder with a detachable head, (2) overhead valves actuated by a camshaft and rockers, a (3) centrifugal governor on the inlet valve, (4) a constant level carburetor with a float and a hand control, (5) a filter for air and gas, (6) automatic lubrication of all moving parts by means of a revolving distributor, (7) the technique of cooling by water circulation, (8) a tubular radiator, and (9) a silencer, (10) roller bearings for the transmission and the wheel hubs. Bernardi used the tricycle form of two wheels in the front and one in the rear because it was structurally simple, easy to drive, and practical to produce and maintain. Between the years 1892 and 1893, he built two motorized vehicles, one with two wheels and one with three wheels. In 1894 Bernardi demonstrated an improved version of his car in which he succeeded in traveling fifteen miles in one hour. How we learn about communities 16 History; 10-12 Science; 13 Science, Technology and Society
|Bernardi, Enrico, 1838-1900|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.