Handstands on the bus
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This black-and-white photograph shows members of the Springfield College gymnastics team doing handstands on the roof of a bus. In the front is a gymnast balancing on the hands of another gymnast. This image was taken during either the Exhibition Team's trip to the New York World's Fair in 1965 or their trip to Florida in 1966. The history of gymnastics at Springfield College stretches nearly as far back as the school’s founding in 1885. Leslie Judd, widely considered a father of modern gymnastics, was the team’s first coach. Dr. James Naismith, the creator of basketball, was an early member of the team. The Exhibition Team has appeared before thousands of spectators in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. In fact, in 1941 the team appeared before thirty-five-thousand spectators in twenty-five cities.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Gymnastics--Exhibition team
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Handstands on the bus. 1965-1966. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7876. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1965-1966) Handstands on the bus. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7876
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7876>.