Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1855 November
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sermon notes by Edward Hitchcock for a sermon delivered at Amherst College in November 1855 and again in June 1861, on the circumstances causing people to fervently turn to prayer. Using the prayerful cries in Psalm 130:1, Lamentations 3:55, and Jonah 2:2 as examples, Hitchcock notes that men demonstrate the true spirit of prayer when they have no hope of help from other people, are in such a low condition that God can grant them great mercies, and when they have strong earnestness and faith. Such prayers are most likely to obtain an answer from God, and can come from many conditions of existence, such as deep anxiety due to sin, or peril due to sickness, accident, poverty, persecution, or other afflictions. Hitchcock has written related hymns on the last page.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Sermons--Outlines, syllabi, etc
- SermonsOutlines (documents)NotesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1855 November. 1855-11. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:510555. (Accessed December 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1855-11) Edward Hitchcock sermon notes, 1855 November. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:510555
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:510555>.