Letter from Isabella Jones to Doggett (October 28, 1917)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Isabella Jones mailed this letter, along with her brother's obituary, to L. L. Doggett on October 28, 1917. In her letter, she mourns her brother’s death and corrects the information in the attached obituary. Doggett wrote her back on November 6, 1917. Roland Jones was born in 1889 in Winnipeg, but they soon moved to Victoria, where he attended North Ward School. Before attending the International YMCA College, now Springfield College, he worked as a boys’ secretary at a local YMCA. After graduation, Jones joined the medical corp at Vernon and traveled to France. He died on October 11, 1917. Dr. L. L. Doggett (1864-1957) was Springfield College's fourth president and first full-time president. Under his leadership, Springfield College expanded its student body from 50 to 500 and its faculty from 8 to 40. Doggett also oversaw the building of a new gymnasium, library, and swimming pool. Furthermore, he was instrumental in developing and implementing the Springfield College's Humanics philosophy, which still guides the college to this day. Doggett retired in 1936.
- Jones, Isabella
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
World War, 1914-1918
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Doggett, L. L. (Laurence Locke), 1864-1957
Jones, Roland M
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Jones, Isabella. Letter from Isabella Jones to Doggett (October 28, 1917). 1917-10-28. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4078. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Jones, Isabella, (1917-10-28) Letter from Isabella Jones to Doggett (October 28, 1917). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4078
- MLA citation style
- Jones, Isabella. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/4078>.