George Washington discharge document
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- Illustrated document containing the discharge records of U.S. Army soldier George Washington. The document indicates that Washington served as a private in the 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Company D. The certificate is dated September 23, 1865. At the top of the document, Lady Justice stands holding a sword in one hand and a billowing American flag in the other. Around her are a snake, an olive branch, a globe, a copy of the Constitution, books, and a set of scales. Behind her are the U.S. Capitol and a regiment of U.S. Army troops. On the left of the document is an illustration of an eagle wearing a shield resembling the United States flag. Under his talons are olive branches and a ribbon inscribed with the phrase "E Pluribus Unum." Below the eagle, written within an illustrated gold gilted frame are the names of three locations in South Carolina where Washington most likely served- Charleston, James Island, and Utah [Eutaw] Springs. The name of Captain Josiah C. Hall is written in the bottom right of the document. "JQA Gilmore, Maj Gen" is also written at the bottom right. This most likely refers to Major General Quincy Adams Gillmore.
- Digital Maryland
- Contributing Institution
- Private Collection
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
United States. Army. Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, 55th (1863-1865). Company D
Massachusetts--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans
- Digital reproduction of 1-page document
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- George Washington discharge document. 1865-23-09. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://collections.digitalmaryland.org/cdm/ref/collection/mcw/id/223. (Accessed January 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1865-23-09) George Washington discharge document. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://collections.digitalmaryland.org/cdm/ref/collection/mcw/id/223
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://collections.digitalmaryland.org/cdm/ref/collection/mcw/id/223>.