Payson House on Oakley Hill
View Full Image
Payson House on Oakley Hill built in 1881, later it was the site of Mount Trinity Academy, then the Protestant Guild for the Blind. In 1984 it was transformed into condominiums. Originally designed by VanBrunt & Howe in 1881 when the partnership was just created. VanBrunt and Howe became known for their multiple commissions for the Union Pacific Railroad grand stations in western cities. Gilbert Payson. for whom the mansion was built, made a fortune in the textile trade The family owned the house until around 1920. It is considered the highest point in Watertown.
|Watertown Free Public Library|
|Architecture, Domestic--Watertown (Mass)--History|
Watertown (Mass.)--Social life and customs
City and town life--Massachusetts--Watertown
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs.Contact host institution for more information.