Parlor in the School for Christian Workers Building, c. 1887
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the parlor in the original building of the School for Christian Workers, now Springfield College, on the corner of Sherman and State streets, c. 1887. The parlor may have been used by the Armory Hill YMCA, which also rented rooms in the building. The school, built on the corner of State and Sherman streets, was completed in the spring of 1886. The building consisted of a reading room, gymnasium, parlor, a recitation room, an amusement room and fifty sleeping rooms. The Armory Hill YMCA also rented rooms in the building. In 1891 James Naismith, while a faculty member at the school, invented the game of basketball in the gymnasium of the building. In 1890 the School for Christian Workers separated into two schools which continued to operate out of the same building, the YMCA Training School and the School for Christian Workers. In 1896 the Training School finished the transition to its new location on Alden Street and in 1897 the School for Christian Workers became the Bible Normal College and moved to Hartford, Connecticut. The original building was torn down in 1965 to create a parking lot. In 1995, McDonald’s Corporation bought the land, excavating the original foundation and bricks before building a restaurant on the site. Today, there is a monument commemorating the site as the birthplace of basketball.
Caption on verso of image reads "Parlor in Armory Hill YMCA. Rooms on 2nd Floor of S.C.W. Bldg about 1887". Another photograph of this image exists. To view this photograph click here: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15370coll2/id/691
- Moss Eng. Co
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
Original School Building
School for Christian Workers (Springfield, Mass.)
School for Christian Workers building
Armory Hill YMCA
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Moss Eng. Co. Parlor in the School for Christian Workers Building, c. 1887. 1887. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/692. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Moss Eng. Co, (1887) Parlor in the School for Christian Workers Building, c. 1887. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/692
- MLA citation style
- Moss Eng. Co. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/692>.