Birthplace of Intercollegiate Movement of the YMCA, c. 1903
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph portrays the birthplace of the Intercollegiate movement of the YMCA. The building is located between the 4th and Chestnut Streets in Louisville, Kentucky. This building functioned as a Presbyterian Church and its chapel was used for this event. The idea of Intercollegiate movement of the YMCA started on the union of the Philadelphian Society of Princeton with the YMCA in 1876. William E. Dodge, president of the New York YMCA encouraged a convention to be made with the opinion that the International Committee of the YMCA, where he was also a member, would like to provide a place in the program for the discussion of Christian work in colleges. A year later, in June of 1877, 21 colleges sent delegates from eleven States, many of these students held meetings in the chapel of the Presbyterian Church pictured. There the students decided on a program which involved intercollegiate correspondence, conventions, visitation and publications. The Intercollegiate movement of the YMCA was born. The photograph can also be found in page 77 of The Intercollegian, Vol. 25, October, 1902 to June, 1903.
A caption on the back reads "Places".
- Hesse, H
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Young Men's Christian Association of North America
- Jefferson County, KY
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hesse, H. Birthplace of Intercollegiate Movement of the YMCA, c. 1903. 1903. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9108. (Accessed July 22, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hesse, H, (1903) Birthplace of Intercollegiate Movement of the YMCA, c. 1903. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9108
- MLA citation style
- Hesse, H. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9108>.