• Created Date
  • 1970-1989
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • A photograph of the front exterior of Springfield College's student union, the Beveridge Center. You can just make out the walkway between the Beveridge Center and Woods Hall on the far right. In March 1958, the partial demolition of Woods Hall and groundbreaking for the Beveridge Center, or BC as it was known to the campus community, began. The Beveridge Center, which replaced the old campus student union, was built as a place where students,... more
    A photograph of the front exterior of Springfield College's student union, the Beveridge Center. You can just make out the walkway between the Beveridge Center and Woods Hall on the far right. In March 1958, the partial demolition of Woods Hall and groundbreaking for the Beveridge Center, or BC as it was known to the campus community, began. The Beveridge Center, which replaced the old campus student union, was built as a place where students, faculty, and administration could gather in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The estimated total cost of the entire project was $425,000. The cornerstone laying ceremony took place on May 24, 1958 and on January 23, 1959, the official Dedication Ceremony for the building was held. The Beveridge Center was named after Frank Stanley Beveridge of Westfield, Massachusetts. The building, which was adjacent to Woods Hall housed several different facilities for the student’s enjoyment. The BC had a snack bar as well as two informal dining areas called the “Infield” and the “Dugout.” There was an air conditioned game room with billiards, and ping-pong tables. On the main floor of the building was a comfortable furnished lounge and information desk. A room called Moses Hall was located on the second floor, and was used for events like movies, dances, and banquets. Other facilities found in the BC were a faculty lounge, radio station, the newspaper and yearbook offices, meeting and conference rooms, a meditation chapel, and the college post office. In 2008 the Beveridge Center was renovated and included in the design of the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union which was dedicated on February 4, 2010. less
  • Format
  • Photographs
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.