Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Shells"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Natural history lecture notes by Edward Hitchcock on the subject of geology. Hitchcock first lists different types of fossils found in rocks, briefly mentioning how many fossils have been found of that type, and the location and type of rock where the fossil type is usually found. The types discussed include shells, insects, amphibians, and human fossils, among others. Hitchcock goes on to list several specific types of rocks and their composition, structure and varieties, including argillaceous schist, limestone, shale, and others. He ends the lecture with comments on geological theories in general, explaining in detail the Neptunian Theory and the Vulcanian Theory, both of which he then refutes. Hitchcock summarizes by nothing that while there is not yet an overarching accepted theory of geology, there are some facts agreed upon by geologists.
The notes are undated. Dates provided are taken from the dates of the series.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Geology--Study and teaching (Higher)
Fossils--Study and teaching (Higher)
- Lecture notesManuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Shells". 1826-1855. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:285027. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1826-1855) Edward Hitchcock classroom lecture notes, "Shells". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:285027
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:285027>.