Logging crew at loading operation, with skeleton railroad cars and two donkey engines, Waite Mill and Timber Company, ca. 1920
View Full Image
The Waite Mill & Timber Company was in business ca. 1909 to ca. 1927, with operations in Granite Falls.Granite Falls was once an important forest products center and is now an area of young-growth timber sixteen miles east of Marysville near the Pilchuck River in west central Snohomish County. It was originally called Portage by an early Indian trader. The present name was given when the Everett & Monte Cristo Railroad was built, and is for a large falls in Stillaguamish River nearby, which cascades over granite ledges and boulders.