Edward Hitchcock ordination and installation sermon, 1843 March 1
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock delivered at the ordination of several different ministers throughout Western Massachusetts. Hitchcock has written the information about whose ordinations this sermon was delivered at and the dates of delivery, between 1843 and 1860, on a sheet of paper attached to the front cover and on an internal page. The main subject of the sermon is the idea that a minister's primary object in taking on the role of pastor is the eternal salvation of all of his hearers. Hitchcock then discusses what a minister must do to strive towards this goal, including the preaching of the Gospel, pastoral visitation and unrelenting evangelization, a dedication to earnest prayer, and being an example to his congregation by living a holy life. Different additions throughout the sermons include portions meant for the ordination or installation of one particular individual.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Clergy--Appointment, call, and election
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock ordination and installation sermon, 1843 March 1. 1843-03-01. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512700. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1843-03-01) Edward Hitchcock ordination and installation sermon, 1843 March 1. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512700
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:512700>.