A. C. Morse Shoe Manufactory
View Full Item
Currently the site of Joshua Hyde library, this image shows the A.C. Morse Shoe Manufactory sometime between 1868-1877. The original building, on the town common, was built in 1850, by Elisha Southwick. Mr. Southwick obtained permission and a lease from the town, in 1850. Subsequently, he leased the business to Merrick and Allen and joined them in a partnership, in 1859. Mr. Merrick and Mr. Allen left the firm and Southwick continued the business until his son-in-law, A.C. Morse took over the business, about 1868. Hiram Carter bought an interest, in 1869 and the business name became Morse and Carter. Mr. Carter withdrew and Mr. Morse continued in business, alone, until about 1877. A group of workers is depicted standing at the east side of the A.C.Morse building.
From the Joshua Hyde Public Library Archive, Sturbridge, Massachusetts http://www.sturbridgelibrary.org
|Joshua Hyde Public Library|
Sturbridge (Mass. : Town)--History--Pictorial works
Sturbridge (Mass. : Town)--Pictorial Works
Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- A. C. Morse Shoe Manufactory. 1868-1877. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494r18g. (Accessed June 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1868-1877) A. C. Morse Shoe Manufactory. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494r18g
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/fb494r18g>.