National Semi-Racing Roadster
View Full Image
The 1913 National Semi-Racing Roadster is a two-passenger automobile. Its engine and hand crank are in the front. There are two large, tube-shaped gasoline tanks behind driver's seat. Behind the gas tanks is a storage shelf for two spare tires and luggage. The roadster has four rubber tires with wooden spokes. The National has three large headlights and a brake light. The driver and passenger compartment is open, and the car has no windshield. The car is painted gray with red and black trim. This sporty National Semi-Racing Roadster reflects the racing tradition of its designer and manufacturer, racecar driver Arthur Newby. Originally involved with bicycles, Newby invented the famous six-day bicycle race during the national craze for bicycles. Along with James Allison and Carl Fisher, Newby built the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1909. Its first race took place in 1911. The winning car had a rear-view mirror, the first time this technology was used, and the publicity following the race led to the mirror's quick adoption nationwide. Newby's own racecar won the race in 1912. The speedway is now internationally famous for its 500-mile race held annually on Memorial Day. The National Semi-Racing Roadster was manufactured by Newby's firm, the National Motor Vehicle Company. How we learn about communities 16 History; 10-12 Science; 13 Science, Technology and Society
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.