Letter closing the Memorial Field House, May 10, 1979
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is the letter revoking the inspection certificates, and thereby condemning, the Springfield College Memorial Field House. The letter was written by Charles G. Cook Jr., City of Springfield Building Commissioner, and is dated May 10, 1979. The inspection was made by the commissioner on May 2, 1979, to investigate the structure of the field house. The final report and letter was sent to Springfield College President Wilbert Locklin. The letter outlines that the lamination of the wood arches no longer met the minimum requirements of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Building Code, a defect that was originally revealed in in a January 1979 review conducted by Harvey and Tracy Associates of Worcester during an in-depth structural analysis in preparation for the construction of a 50,000 square foot addition to the building. The demolition occurred quickly, being completed by August, 1979.The Memorial Field House originally was a drill hall of the Navy, and Springfield College qualified for it from the Federal Work Agency in 1946. The government disassembled and transported the building to Springfield College. The field house was opened on February 21, 1948. After it was demolished, a new Physical Education Complex replaced the Memorial Field House, and was formally dedicated on October 30, 1981.
- Cook, Charles G. Jr
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Spingfield College
- Memorial Field House
Locklin, Wilbert E. (Wilbert Edwin)
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Cook, Charles G. Jr. Letter closing the Memorial Field House, May 10, 1979. 1979-05-10. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2725. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Cook, Charles G. Jr, (1979-05-10) Letter closing the Memorial Field House, May 10, 1979. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2725
- MLA citation style
- Cook, Charles G. Jr. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2725>.