"Team. Teamwork. Teammates." - Reflections on Humanics - Oct 30, 1997
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This column, titled “Team. Teamwork. Teammates.” is part of a series of reflections written by Springfield College’s Distinguished Professor of Humanics Joel Dearing on October 30, 1997. Dearing was Springfield College’s Distinguished Professor of Humanics during the 1997-1998 academic year. During this time, he started a weekly column in the Springfield Student newspaper called, “Reflections on Humanics.” In his column from the week of October 30, 1997, Dearing asks students, student athletes, and SC employees how they have seen the balance of our Humanics philosophy of spirit, mind, and body in action on their teams. He also asks, “Who do you see as your teammates?” and “Have you seen some good examples of teamwork?” Dearing explains how great he feels when he is able to pick up the phone to call a colleague for help or advice and to team up with other faculty, administrators, staff, and especially students. He goes on to talk about his women’s volleyball team and how during the first meeting of the season on August 24th they discussed the process they needed to undergo to build a new team after four starters graduated last year. Dearing concludes that building a team takes time, trust, and input from all of those who are involved. Dearing earned his BS from Springfield College in 1979 and taught as an associate professor of Physical Education at the college. Dearing also coached women’s volleyball for 22 seasons (1989-2010). He finished his career with a win-loss record of 595-196 and a .752 winning percentage. Dearing was the recipient of several different Coach of the Year honors throughout the years.
- Dearing, Joel B
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Distinguished Professor of Humanics
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Dearing, Joel B. "Team. Teamwork. Teammates." - Reflections on Humanics - Oct 30, 1997. 1997-10-30. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7720. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Dearing, Joel B, (1997-10-30) "Team. Teamwork. Teammates." - Reflections on Humanics - Oct 30, 1997. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7720
- MLA citation style
- Dearing, Joel B. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7720>.