Kelley's Island shoreline
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph is most likely of portion of shoreline at Kelley's Island. Kelleys Island is in fact a mass of solid limestone rock, lifted about twelve feet out of the Lake Erie, and rising in some points to an elevation of 40 or 50 feet above the level of the lake. Geologically, the island consists of successive strata of Columbus limestone with as many as 60 layers which vary in thickness from 2 to 8 inches and full of marine fossils. The eastern shores of the island have mostly been worn smooth from a westbound glacier, producing gentle shores full of rocky beaches. Western facing shores are more sharp and jagged, with erosion caused from the waves of lake. Columbus limestone can be found in a north-south line from Kelleys Island in Lake Erie to south of Columbus and many quarries are, or have been, actively removing this high-calcium limestone for use in production of cement, rip-rap, driveway gravel and road base, agricultural lime, and other uses. The unit was formed in a clear, shallow, tropical sea that covered the state. Fossils of marine animals are abundant in the Columbus Limestone.
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ohio Guide Collection
Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio)
Lake Erie Islands (Ohio)
National Register of Historic Places
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Kelley's Island shoreline. 1930s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8312. (Accessed March 3, 2024.)
- APA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project, (1930s) Kelley's Island shoreline. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8312
- MLA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/8312>.