Oral history interview with Jane English
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 25 April 2016
Jane English speaks of growing up in the Boston, Massachusetts area, attending Mount Holyoke College, receiving her Ph.D. in physics at the University of Wisconsin in 1970 and a post-doctoral appointment at the Lawrence Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley. She describes meeting and later marrying Gia-fu Feng at the Stillpoint Meditation Center, a spiritual commune in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Elizabeth Kent Gay, “Kenty,” whom Gia-fu had met at the Institute for Transpersonal Psychology in Menlo Park, California, offered them housing for the summer of 1971 in Kents Corner, Calais, Vermont, and she describes traveling there by caravan with other Stillpoint members, their daily outdoor Tai chi practice, exchanges with old-time Vermonters, and visiting with Trungpa Rinpoche at Karme Choling in Barnet, Vermont. She provides detail about the creation that summer of their best-selling edition of the Tao Te Ching, a collaboration of Gia-fu’s translations of the original text and Chinese calligraphy with her photographs, and about its publication. She goes on to describe parting ways with Gia-fu in 1974, living in Mount Shasta, California, and concludes the interview with discussion of her explorations into science and spirituality, and of her New England family heritage.
- Contributing Institution
- Vermont Historical Society
- English, Jane, 1942- --Interviews
Feng, Gia-fu, 1919-1985
Gay, Elizabeth Kent
Trungpa, Chögyam, 1939-1987
Karme Choling (Barnet, Vt.)
Science and spiritualism
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Permission to publish material from the Vermont 1970s Counterculture Project must be obtained from the Vermont Historical Society.
- Chicago citation style
- Oral history interview with Jane English. 25 April 2016. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalvermont.org/vt70s/AudioFile1970s-63. (Accessed June 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (25 April 2016) Oral history interview with Jane English. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalvermont.org/vt70s/AudioFile1970s-63
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalvermont.org/vt70s/AudioFile1970s-63>.