• Description
  • Metlakatla is located at Port Chester on the west coast of Annette Island, 15 miles south of Ketchikan. Metlakatla means "saltwater channel passage," and was founded by a group of Canadian Tsimshians who migrated from Prince Rupert, British Columbia in 1887 seeking religious freedom. They were led by a Scottish lay priest in the Anglican Church (Church of England), Reverend William Duncan, who had begun his missionary work with the Tsimshians ... more
    Metlakatla is located at Port Chester on the west coast of Annette Island, 15 miles south of Ketchikan. Metlakatla means "saltwater channel passage," and was founded by a group of Canadian Tsimshians who migrated from Prince Rupert, British Columbia in 1887 seeking religious freedom. They were led by a Scottish lay priest in the Anglican Church (Church of England), Reverend William Duncan, who had begun his missionary work with the Tsimshians at Fort Simpson, B.C., in 1857. Rev. Duncan traveled to Washington D.C. around 1886 to personally request land from President Grover Cleveland for the Tsimshians. The Island was selected by a local search committee, and by 1890, there were 823 residents. Congress declared Annette Island a federal Indian reservation in 1891. Residents built a church, a school, a sawmill and a cannery, and constructed homes in an orderly grid pattern. Duncan continued to inspire and lead his followers until his death in 1918. less
  • Format
  • Postcard
    image
    3.5 x 5.5 in.
    Scanned from an original photographic postcard using a Microtek ArtixScan 1800f at 110 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2005