Children's Drawings, Spanish Civil War
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- between 1936-1938
One of 634 drawings from collection "They still draw pictures", which is part of the Southworth Spanish Civil War Collection housed in the Mandeville Special Collections Library at UC San Diego. The drawings were executed in pencil, ink, watercolor and/or crayon by Spanish school children in Madrid, Valencia, and elsewhere in Spain, and in refugee centers in France. Some of the drawings have Spanish captions (which have been transcribed and translated into the description for each digitized image). The drawings were collected under the auspices of the Spanish Board of Education and the Carnegie Institute of Spain. Some of the drawings were subsequently published in the book: They Still Draw Pictures / introduction by Aldous Huxley (New York : Spanish Civil Welfare Association of America for the American Friends Service Committee, 1938). The drawings in the custody of the Mandeville Special Collections Library have been digitized and are accessible via the UCSD Libraries DAMS or the online exhibit titled They Still Draw Pictures.
Recto: (Stamp) Socorro Rojo, Guarderías Infantiles, Cuenca. [Dolores Vesperinas].
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/collections/sca/)
- Spain, Carnegie Institute of Spain, Spain, Ministerio de Educación
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Special Collections and Archives
Spain--History--Civil War, 1936-1939--Art and the war
Spain--History--Civil War, 1936-1939--Children
Drawings (visual works)--Spain
Socorro Rojo Guardería Infantil
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by copyright law. Use of this work beyond that allowed by the applicable copyright statute requires the written permission of the copyright holder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Spain, Carnegie Institute of Spain, Spain, Ministerio de Educación. Children's Drawings, Spanish Civil War. between 1936-1938. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1298109m. (Accessed December 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Spain, Carnegie Institute of Spain, Spain, Ministerio de Educación, (between 1936-1938) Children's Drawings, Spanish Civil War. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1298109m
- MLA citation style
- Spain, Carnegie Institute of Spain, Spain, Ministerio de Educación. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1298109m>.