Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 May
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock discussing Jesus Christ as the foundation of salvation. Hitchcock discusses two barriers to salvation for those who do not believe in the saving power of Christ: the first, which he calls a barrier on the part of God, is that there can be no salvation without atonement; the second, which he calls a barrier on the part of man, is that there is a natural enmity in man's heart. Hitchcock thus posits that the only salvation can come through Christianity, and emphasizes that salvation does not come through attempting to find religion but through accepting Christ and acknowledging his death on the cross as the way to salvation. 1 Corinthians 3:11 is quoted. Hitchcock has noted the dates and locations where he delivered this sermon on the first page.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Conway (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Jesus Christ--Person and offices--Sermons
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 May. 1825-05. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:508948. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1825-05) Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1825 May. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:508948
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:508948>.