Loggers and mess hall crew at railroad logging camp, Saginaw Timber Company, near Elma, n.d
View Full Image
The Saginaw Timber Company incorporated on March 18, 1908 and organized in 1909. The company was to be capitalized at $100,000. The organizers were A J Morley and W G Hopkins. The company constructed and operated a 40 mile logging railroad in the Aberdeen area. In 1919, the company merged the E H Lester Logging Company, a two mile logging railroad in the Montesano area. In 1933, the company merged the Gray's Harbor and Pacific Railroad Company, a 9.25 mile railroad in the Aberdeen area. The company also merged the Saginaw Southern Railway Company. By 1934 the company was known as the Saginaw Logging Company and operated in the Brooklyn area. In 1947, the company acquired the Bridges to Vesta track from the Gray's Harbor and Puget Sound Railway Company. In 1946, the company was reorganized as the Saginaw Lumber Company. On February 14, 1947 the company was dissolved. Elma is a community on the Chehalis River twenty-seven miles west of Olympia in southeast Grays Harbor...