• Created Date
  • 1910
  • Description
  • Car #106 was one of the cars on the Seattle, Renton & Southern streetcar line, as the Rainier Valley line was known at that time. It was the only independently owned line in Seattle, all the others being municipally owned and operated by the city. Car #106 was built by the Moran Shipyards on Seattle's waterfront. It was one of nine cars placed in service in 1910. In the 1920s all of these cars were converted to one-man operations. The center d... more
    Car #106 was one of the cars on the Seattle, Renton & Southern streetcar line, as the Rainier Valley line was known at that time. It was the only independently owned line in Seattle, all the others being municipally owned and operated by the city. Car #106 was built by the Moran Shipyards on Seattle's waterfront. It was one of nine cars placed in service in 1910. In the 1920s all of these cars were converted to one-man operations. The center door was moved to the front where the motorman could collect the fare. When the city made the decision to convert to busses, the Seattle City Council ordered the line to cease operations at the end of 1936. Car #106 was the last car to operate, and it clattered across the switches at the Hudson Street Barns at 1:45 am, January 1, 1937, to end 45 years of streetcar service to Rainier Valley and Renton. less
  • Format
  • Postcard
    image
    3 1/2 x 5 1/2 in.
    1 photographic postcard: b&w
    Scanned as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3
  • Rights
  • All rights reserved.