Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 July
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock discussing different types of human character. Hitchcock uses the science of mineralogy to illustrate his topic, using terms and examples of minerals to describe the different types of characters. He lists ten different characters, claiming the entirely transparent character is best, which is to say the person who acts and thinks just as he seems to and does not hide anything or deceive in any way. Hitchcock ends the sermon with three summarizing points: first, that these examples should demonstrate the need for caution in judging someone's character, second, that his examples should demonstrate Christian sanctification, and third, how important it is to have a perfectly guileless character to be successful and useful. John 2:47 is quoted. Hitchcock has noted on the first page that the sermon was delivered at Amherst College in July 1846.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Amherst (Mass.)
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Religion and science
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 July. 1846-07. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:511769. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1846-07) Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1846 July. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:511769
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:511769>.