• Creator
  • Charnell Studios, Ltd.
  • Description
  • Text on monument plaque reads: These historical stones were used in the first pulp and paper mill in British Columbia, and were recovered from the old mill site with the aid of the city fathers of the Albernis, and erected in their present location by Bloedel, Stewart & Welch Ltd. to commemorate this pioneer endeavour.This first mill was built on the Somass River, about one mile upstream from the city of Alberni at the location now known as "P... more
    Text on monument plaque reads: These historical stones were used in the first pulp and paper mill in British Columbia, and were recovered from the old mill site with the aid of the city fathers of the Albernis, and erected in their present location by Bloedel, Stewart & Welch Ltd. to commemorate this pioneer endeavour.This first mill was built on the Somass River, about one mile upstream from the city of Alberni at the location now known as "Paper Mill Dam." Construction of the dam commenced 1891 and of the mill 1892. First paper was manufactured June 1894, and the last run was made in the autumn of 1896.The six granite stones were quarried in Aberdeen, Scotland, and arrived at Esquimalt, B.C. aboard the British barque "Ariadne," May 4, 1892, one hundred and forty seven days out of London, England. The seventh stone, on the west side of the base is sandstone from the United States.PH Coll 531.C81. less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image