Former Thayer Bird Museum and Auc Art Gallery
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Thayer Bird Museum, on Main Street in South Lancaster, was designed by architect Henry Forbes Bigelow and built in 1903 for ornithologist John Eliot Thayer II, who needed a place to house his vast collection of North American bird specimens. Even though Lancaster was off the beaten path, the museum attracted more than 10,000 visitors in its first six years. In 1974, the building was sold to Atlantic Union College and is now the Mabel Bartlett Art Gallery. Much of the Thayer collection was donated to the Museum of Comparative Zoology at his alma mater, Harvard University.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Galleries & museums
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Former Thayer Bird Museum and Auc Art Gallery. 1903-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h59w. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1903-2000) Former Thayer Bird Museum and Auc Art Gallery. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h59w
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871h59w>.