George Merrick's house gateway. Coral Gables, Florida
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Coral Gables Merrick House was the home of the Rev. Solomon G. and Althea Fink Merrick, parents of George Merrick, founder of Coral Gables. The 160-acre tract of land Solomon purchased in 1899 included a log cabin on the property where the Merrick family first lived. In 1906, they started construction of a larger home using limestone rock quarried from land where the Venetian Pool is located and named it “Coral Gables.” The new house, completed in 1910, is located at 907 Coral Way. It now serves as a house museum and is owned and operated by the City.
Caption on verso: "Martin Aronow Photographer, 248 Giralda Ave., P.O. Box 340063 Coral Gables, Fla., Phone 444-6471, Picture Number________
Feb 8 1978"
(Ownership) Coral Gables Historical Resources Department
- Aronow, Martin
- Contributing Institution
- City of Coral Gables
- Supporting Institution
- Florida International University Libraries
- Coral Gables (Fla.)--History--Pictorial works
Coral Gables (Fla.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works
Merrick, George E
Architecture, Domestic--Florida--Coral Gables
- 8 X 10 in.
- Chicago citation style
- Aronow, Martin. George Merrick's house gateway. Coral Gables, Florida. 1978-02-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12120610/00001. (Accessed June 16, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Aronow, Martin, (1978-02-08) George Merrick's house gateway. Coral Gables, Florida. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12120610/00001
- MLA citation style
- Aronow, Martin. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://dpanther.fiu.edu/dpService/dpPurlService/purl/FI12120610/00001>.