Interior of the Memorial Field House as the Sampson Naval Training Facility
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a photograph showing the interior of the of the Memorial Field House when it was used as a Naval Training Facility during World War I. Notice the naval men scattered through the cavernous structure. The photograph was used in a May 12, 1963 Springfield Sunday Republican rotogravure section. The field house was originally used at the Sampson Naval Training Facility, a basic training facility, in Sampson, New York. In 1946, Springfield College qualified for it and the government disassembled and transported the building to Springfield College. The field house was opened on February 21, 1948. On that day the first basketball game was held in the new arena, with Springfield College playing Providence College. William R. Chase, a member of the first group of men to play basketball in 1891, tossed the ceremonial first ball. The building was demolished in 1979 due to the fact that the wood arch could not meet minimum building code requirements. A new Physical Education Complex replaced the Memorial Field House, and was formally dedicated on October 30, 1981.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Spingfield College
- Springfield College--Buildings
Memorial Field House
International Young Men's Christian Association College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Interior of the Memorial Field House as the Sampson Naval Training Facility. 1940-1946. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2727. (Accessed July 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1940-1946) Interior of the Memorial Field House as the Sampson Naval Training Facility. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2727
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2727>.